Fleas are small, irritating insects that mostly attack humans and pets. If you live or have pets where infestation of fleas is high, you are likely to suffer from flea bites.
Flea bites are painful and can also be very itchy, the bites may appear as small red bumps in groups of three or four or in a straight line. They are mostly seen around the ankles, legs and can also be observed around the armpits, waist, fold of the elbows and knees.
Scratching excessively can damage the skin thereby leading to secondary bacterial infections.
To treat and get rid of flea bites, the first and most important thing to be done is to control the infestation. There are many natural ways of treating flea bites on humans as well as pets. For those Who Dont know what Flea Bite look like, you can check some Flea Bites Images Here
Here are some of them;
Best Flea Treatment For Humans,Cats and Dog
- BAKING SODA
Baking soda is one of the greatest remedies for flea bites on pets and humans. Being a natural acid neutralizer, it gives immediate removal of discomfort from itching, it also reduces inflammation and swelling as well as the chance of getting secondary infections. Its one of the best flea treatment for Cats
– Merely mix a teaspoon of baking soda with a small amount of water, apply the fine paste on the flea bite and leave it on for about five to ten minutes then rinse with cold water. This remedy can be used one or two times daily only.
- Optionally, a one cup of baking soda can be added to a bath tub filled with cool water and it should be stirred properly. Immerse yourself in this water for about ten minutes then dry yourself with a soft towel. This should be done once daily.
- Pets can also be treated with a paste made from a teaspoon of baking soda and a little water to prevent itching and scratching all over. A cotton ball should be used in applying the mixture on the affected areas then it should be left for five minutes after which should be washed off with cool water.
Baking soda should not be used on open wounds or broken skin.
- COLD PRESSES
Applying cold presses can help halt severe pain and itching caused by flea bites.
Cold temperature has a numb effect on nerve endings which in turn reduces itching as well as swelling.
- Clean the affected area with a warm soapy water and antiseptic.
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a small cloth and put on the affected area for about two to three minutes.
- Take a rest then reapply.
- Do this continually for ten to fifteen minutes few times daily.
Its one of the best flea treatment for Cats and dogs.
Ice should not be applied directly on the skin as it can lead to ice burns.
- ALOE VERA
Aloe vera helps accelerating the healing process. Succulent aloe vera gel has a soothing effect on the skin for both humans and pets. It has active components which contain antiseptic and inflammatory qualities that help reduce swelling and itching. It Can be Used For Flea Bites on Humans
- Slash open a small part of an aloe vera leaf and extract the gel.
- Apply on the skin and affected areas.
- Leave for fifteen minutes then rinse off with warm water.
- This remedy can be used two to three times daily.
Its the best flea treatment for humans
The left over gel can be stored in a refrigerator.
- WITCH HAZEL For Flea Treatment
Witch hazel is a good substance which draws tissue together, thus restricting the flow of blood can be used to treat flea bites. Due to the presence of tannins in it, inflammation and swelling is reduced. Pets can also be treated with witch hazel.
- Soak a cotton ball in witch hazel and place on the affected area for ten minutes.
- Witch hazel can be stored in a spray bottle and sprayed on the affected areas (for pets).
- Flea Treatment Using APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar is a wonderful way of treating flea bites in both humans and pets. It contains acetic acid which prevents infections.
- Fully immerse a cotton ball in raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar and place it on the affected area for five minutes. If you experience irritation, dilute the apple vinegar with water then re-apply. This can be tried few times daily.
- Mix raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar with water in a spray bottle, spray on the affected areas of the pet but make sure you avoid the pet’s eyes, nose and ears. This can be done few times daily.
The solution can be spayed on flea infested surfaces.
- How To Use OATMEAL for Flea Treatment
Oatmeal preferably colloidal oatmeal can be very good in the treatment of flea bites and blue waffles. Colloidal oatmeal means oatmeal that has been crushed into a fine powder.
An oatmeal pulls out inflammatory toxins out of the skin, it treats irritation and infections caused by flea bites. Oatmeal can be used for both individuals and pets.
- Make a thick paste using colloidal oatmeal, little amount of honey and plain yoghurt. Apply on affected areas for about thirty minutes then rinse off. This can be done daily.
- For pets, a cup of colloidal oatmeal should be put in tepid water. Bathe your pets ensuring that it enters into their fur for fifteen minutes then wash with cold water. This can be done daily.
- EPSOM SALT
Humans and pets can use Epsom salt to reduce irritation and inflammation caused by flea bites.
- Dissolve a cup of Epsom salt in a tepid water, bathe yourself in this water for about fifteen minutes. This can be done once or twice a week.
- For pets, dissolve four to six tablespoons in warm water and bathe them in it. Ensure they don’t swallow the water as it can cause diarrhea. This can be done once or twice a week till you get good results.
Lemon can help control the infestation of fleas. It is a natural astringent that reduces itching and it dries out the bumps caused by flea bites.
- Put a cotton ball in lemon juice and place it on the affected areas.
- Allow to air dry, then rinse with cool water.
This can be done few times daily and is for humans and pets.
- GREEN TEA
Green tea reduces itching and inflammation due to its anti irritant properties.
- Brew some cups of green tea and allow it to cool. Then use to wash the bites as well as the pets.
- Optionally, put the used tea bags in a refrigerator for about thirty minutes then place directly on the bites.
Black tea or comfrey tea or any other tea made from fresh or dry lavender flowers can be used along with green tea to treat the bites.
- COCONUT OIL
Coconut oil can be use by both human and pet. It moisturizes the bite and reduces itching to the barest minimum. Using raw coconut oil which has live enzymes will heal the bite upon contact.
Lavender oil, peppermint oil, basil oil and rosemary oil can also be used along side with coconut oil.
HOW TO GET RID OF FLEA BITES
You can get rid of flea bites by removing all the fleas from the house. Fleas can be eradicated with the following;
- Equally mix water and detergent in a bowl, this is a flea trap which kills fleas because they are attracted to the scent thereby jumping into the mixture which drowns them. They can be killed manually if they don’t die.
- By spreading salt which is a desiccant in areas where fleas are, it makes the environment unattractive. It can also injure them by drying water from their skin making them bleed to death. Using salt is cheaper and effective.
- Vaseline is an oily substance, when fleas jump on areas with Vaseline they get stuck and will die due to starvation and suffocation.
- Spray lemon juice, citrus juice or dish washing liquid in affected areas with a spray bottle.
- Use vacuum cleaner to clean your home on daily basis especially areas where there is little or no exposure to sunlight rays because fleas breed and survive more in cool and dark places.
- Bay leaves can be sprinkled on areas infested, bay leaves have scents which eradicates fleas.
- If fleas are infesting your house through your pets then you must clean your pets by using flea shampoo and also clean your home and yard or where your pets usually visit properly. Check the Life Cycle of Fleas Here
- By mixing botanic dust and boric acid, dust the areas infested. It ends the future reproduction of the fleas.
- Fleas can also be gotten rid of by sprinkling yeast on infested areas.
- When you use nylar or pyriproxfen as your flooring materials, they help to prevent flea eggs from hatching and fleas can be removed easily.
These methods of removing fleas are very simple and effective.
Most of the products are cheap and locally available.
By using the above tips, your home will become more comfortable.